Saturday, May 30, 2015

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's reviews to show off the books you've borrowed, bought or been given this week.


I haven't done this for a couple of weeks, so here are my books. The first is an ebook. The other two I got this week in Edinburgh. I told myself "I can't buy more books!" But I was hunting around the charity shops for a new jacket, and found a couple of things I couldn't resist. It's money going to charity so it doesn't count as buying books ;-). All links go to goodreads.


 Leave Your Mark, by Aliza Licht. This one is a bit different for me. It's non-fiction, sort of half advice book, half autobiography of Aliza Licht who is the head of public relations for DKNY. I saw a few promotional excerpts for this one, and since I'm applying for publishing jobs just now, I thought it would be useful to see her advice. I'll be reviewing this one sometime in June I expect.










Clariel by Garth Nix. I love Garth Nix and his 'Old Kingdom' series is one I come back to re-read again and again. Clariel is set many years (a couple of hundred, I think) before the events of Sabriel. I think it might even be set before Touchstone is born, but I can't quite remember. I'm very excited to read this, I'll be getting to it very soon. And the shop had it for just £2 for the hardback! Can you blame me for buying it?

Natural Causes, by James Oswald. This is a crime novel, set in Scotland, written by a Scottish author. And yes, that is Edinburgh on the cover, for the curious. It appeals to me for all of those reasons! It started as a self published novel but he eventually picked up an agent who sold the series to Penguin. He's now also got a fantasy series being released, which I'd love to read too. This is definitely going to be coming on holiday with me this summer, if I don't end up reading it sooner!

Have you read any of these books? What did you get this week?

~Ailsa

9 comments:

Grace Fonseca on May 30, 2015 at 5:33 AM said...

Interesting choices. I haven't heard of the second book. Hope you enjoy your new reads.

Grace @ Books of Love

ChrissiReads on May 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM said...

I haven't heard of any of these books before! They look intriguing though.I hope that you enjoy them! My haul!

Sofia T. on May 30, 2015 at 8:15 AM said...

Great books! Happy reading :)

Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

Lover Of Romance on May 30, 2015 at 8:27 AM said...

Good picks you have here!! Leave Your Mark sounds very interesting!!

Michelle Santiago on May 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM said...

garth nix is on my list of authors to read in the near future, when i'm in the mood for an epic fantasy. awesome books! enjoy and happy reading :)

-michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

Jazmen ThisGirlReadsAlot on May 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM said...

I'm looking for work too, so I'm definitely looking into the first book. Fun haul, enjoy!

Krystianna Straley on May 30, 2015 at 6:47 PM said...

Great haul this week! I've wanted to check out Garth Nix's books for a while though I've heard that they aren't for everyone. Have a good week!
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Lovin Libros on May 30, 2015 at 7:56 PM said...

Oh Clariel! My friend was just talking about rereading Sabriel. I'll have to check these out!

Melliane on June 7, 2015 at 6:22 AM said...

I confess that they're all new to me but I hope you'll enjoy them. Happy reading!

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)

 

Term of Use

If you would like us to review your book, do an interview or host a guest blog, you can contact Ailsa at: ailsa.floyd@yahoo.com or Emily Cross at:emilycross09@gmail.com

We are happy to review any genre of books - get in touch and we can chat.

The Book Bundle Copyright © 2009 Flower Garden is Designed by Ipietoon for Tadpole's Notez Flower Image by Dapino