Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday! This is a new feature for me, and is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a topic for a 'top ten' list.
Here are mine for this week, in no particular order:
1) Banished, by Liz de Jager. I'm reading an ARC of this at the moment, and really enjoying it. I'll definitely be reviewing it soon.
2) The Emperor's Blades, by Brian Staveley. Again, I've got an ARC for this in my room, it's my 'read next' book. I've heard a lot of chatter about it and am looking forward to another good fantasy novel.
3) The Relic Guild, by Edward Cox. There isn't much information about this one out yet (no Goodreads page to link to!), but Gollancz describe it: "With its split time-line, superb characters and bewitching setting of a vast city cut off from the realms around it where magic is ruthlessly supressed this is a dark and exciting fantasy set in a city which itself becomes a living, breathing character."
4) The Copper Promise, by Jen Williams. Are you sensing a theme here yet? I think 2014 is going to be a great year for fantasy debuts. I love the cover for this, and the story sounds right up my alley.
5) Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen. Another one I already have a copy of, and am looking forward to reading. It's scheduled to come out in July, so I'll be reviewing it a bit closer to the time.
6) Sing, Sweet Nightingale, by Erica Cameron. Of course, I have to include our own occasional reviewer Erica on this list! I'm excited to read her book which is scheduled to come out in March in the UK.
Those are the debuts which I'm aware of at the moment that really jump out to me. I'm sure there are others, and I know there are several books from previously published authors which I really can't wait to read, either.