Saturday, November 9, 2013

Letterbox Love/StS: The WFC haul, part 1


Last weekend I went to the World Fantasy Convention in Brighton, and one of the many awesome things that happened was they gave away a whole lot of free books. Since I came home with so many, and I don't anticipate buying any more for a little while, I'm going to split the haul over two Letterbox Love posts. 

First of all, here are the three books I did actually buy: 

'Darkness Splintered' by Keri Arthur (Dark Angel #6)  - I've loved Keri Arthur's work for a long time now, and I was very excited to find this for sale (a little early) at the weekend, so I could get her to sign it! :) I've already started reading, and it's going well so far. Review or 'Thoughts on Books' post to come soon. 

'A Conspiracy of Alchemists' by Liesel Schwarz - I had an e-arc of this back in the spring, and was really enjoying it, but unfortunately it expired before I could get to the end. I'm looking forward to reading the end of the story now.

'The Prince of Lies' by Anne Lyle (Night's Masque #3) - I'm currently half way through the audio of book 2, and was looking forward to meeting Anne Lyle at the con, but didn't have the book for her to sign, so when they had book 3 (again, a little early), I picked it up. I'll get to this one soon.


'The Garden of Stones', by Mark T Barnes - I wasn't sure about this one, but I really enjoyed hearing the author speaking on a panel, so I decided to give it a go.

'The Emperor's Blades' by Brian Stavely - This sounds like a great new fantasy series, and I"m excited to read it.

'The Path of Anger' by Antoine Rouaud - Another fantasy which I'm very excited to read, and on the spine it says 'The Debut of the Year' which I thought was fun :)

'Unspoken' by Sarah Rees Brenan - I've heard a lot about this from people who've already read it, and I think I'll have to keep the tissues close to hand, so I might wait until I have the rest of the series to cope with it.

'Banished' by Liz De Jager - This is the one I was most excited to see on the 'goodies' table - the cover was just revealed the other week, and it looks great! Liz was the author of the first book blog I ever read, and I'm looking forward to reading this story a lot. 


There's the first part! So many books that I'm really excited to read. 
Thank you to publishers, 47 North, Simon & Schuster, Gollancz and Tor for your generosity offering the copies.

What books did you get this week?
~Ailsa

9 comments:

  1. That's an amazing haul of books, can't wait to see what else you got! I would have loved to have gone to WFC but wasn't able to, will have to console myself with FantasyCon next year and maybe LonCon too :) Looking forward to hearing what you though of Banished, Liz's blog was one of the first I read too. I nearly picked up the Path of Anger but couldn't carry anything else - laden down with Pat and Scott's books! - will definitely going to pick up a copy soon though. Enjoy all your new books and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri Arthur is always a good way to go. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul. I really enjoyed A Conspiracy of Alchemists. Your galleys don't expire if you have a Kindle Fire. I really hope you enjoy your new goodies.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to finish or catch up with the Keri Arthur books. I've only read the first two in that series and enjoyed both. Great haul :)

    Janina
    My Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great looking books, really wish I could have gone to WFC! You got some amazing freebies as well, love the look of The Path of Anger especially. Enjoy all your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely haul this week, so many good titles! I hope you enjoy them all :)
    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  7. The convention sounds fun! Unspoken is amazing, you'll definitely need tissues. ;) Happy reading!
    Heres mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unspoken was pretty good! I hope you enjoy it ;)
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be really interested to see what you think of Garden of Stones. I absolutely adored it so I hope it finds an audience. You got some fantastic reads here!
    Thanks for stopping by my Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)