Saturday, November 23, 2013

Letterbox Love: The WFC Haul part 2

 



I missed doing last weeks, so here are the rest of the books I picked up at World Fantasy Con in Brighton at the start of the month. I've been a little busy with uni work (it's essays time of the semester) but I'm planning to put up my write-ups of it this coming week. I'll also have more reading time now, so reviews will be back! *g*

On to the books!


'Farlander' by Col Buchanan - Fantasy, sounds like it could be interesting

'Black Feathers' by Joseph D'Lacey - Don't know much about this, but I've heard good things about Joseph D'Lacey and the cover is just gorgeous.

'The Emperor's Knife' by Mazarkis Williams - Fantasy, again don't know much about it.

'The Knights of Breton Court' by Maurice Broaddus - A new version of the King Arthur myth - I'm not particularly interested in Arthur stories, but this one looked different so I thought I'd give it a go - it's fairly far down the tbr pile at the moment though.

'The Fifth Wave' by Rick Yancy - this one sounds a bit mid-apocalyptic, and I've heard a little bit about it. I'm actually quite keen to read this one soon. 


At the top of this one is the lovely commemorative program they gave to everyone, which features lots of nice pictures and some cool short stories. 

'The Queen of the Tearling' by Erika Johansen - This is a proof copy, so the cover isn't final, about a 19 year old girl about to inherit a kingdom that's a bit of a mess, by the sound of it. I think this sounds really cool, and I'm hoping to read it soon. It doesn't come out till summer, so I won't be posting a review for a while though. 

'The Martian' by Andy Weir - Don't know much about this at all, so it's fairly low in the pile again, but it could be interesting, I'll give it a go sometime.

'The Forbidden Library' by Django Wrexler - This one sounds really cool, it has an introduction letter from the author tucked inside that says it's built on the question of what if you couldn't trust the mentor figure there often is in fantasy books? I hope to read it soon, but again, it's a proof copy, not releasing until April, so it'll be a while till I actually post the review.


How about you? Leave me the links to what you got this week and I'll come check them out! 

~Ailsa

12 comments:

  1. These books look brilliant! I hope you enjoy them all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the haul, and very envious of your attendance of WFC this year. I went to my first one last year because it was local and was amazed by how much it replenished my creativity and my interest in the book industry.

    Plus, you know, the giant bag of free books was pretty cool too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard fantastic things about The 5th Wave, but I haven't gotten around to reading it myself. I hope you enjoy all you got :)

    Here's my STS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting haul - best of luck with the books! Black Feathers was a great read (I'm anxiously looking forward to the sequel).

    Here's my STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Queen of the Tearling sounds really interesting. I haven't heard of it before, but now I'll definitely be looking out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 5th Wave is a pretty good book! It's a little slow in the beginning, but it picks up. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to go to the WFC. I hope you had a good time. The 5th Wave is hugely popular but I wasn't a fan, I am always the odd one out when it comes to popular books! Enjoy your reads : )

    Kate @ The Little Blog of Geek

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read The 5th Wave although I've heard nothing but praise for it. You got a tone of new books this week. I hope you enjoy them all!
    Happy reading! :)

    Nick - My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, amazing books this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great books this week! I still have to read the 5th Wave, it's one that I've been wanting to read for such a long time now! I hope you enjoy all your reads. My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so amazing! I've been wanting to read 5th Wave
    Hope you enjoy all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's a lot of wonderful books! I hope you'll like them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)