Thursday, January 21, 2010

All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab

I'm back! After dissappering from The Book Bundle I have returned to the lovely reviews. Long story short about the long break is that my computer got a virus. This virus caused my computer to kill itself. I had to order parts for a new computer and then build it, which is what I have been doing all this week. It feels good to be back now! I got an ARC for this book back in November and I've wanted to post a review ever since I finished, so here we go!

From the back:

Carly: She Was Sweet. Smart. Self-destructive. She knew the secrets of Brighton Day School's most priviledged students. Secrets that got her killed.

Neily: Dumped by Carly for a notorious bad boy, Neily didn't answer the phone call she made before she died. If he had, maybe he could have helped her. Now he can't get the image of her lifeless body out of his mind.

Audrey: She's the reason Carly got tangled up with Brighton's fast crowd in the first place, and now she regrets it-especially since she's convinced the police have put the wrong person in jail. Audrey thinks the murderer is someone at Brighton and she wants Neily to help her find out who it is.

As reluctant allies, Neily and Audrey dig into their shared past with Carly, her involvement with Brighton's dark goings-on comes to light. But figuring out how Carly and her killer fit into the twisted drama with force Audrey and Neily to face hard truths about themselves and the girl they couldn't save.

When I first started reading Anna Jarzab's debut novel, All Unquiet Things, I thought I knew how it would end. From the get go I thought I had figured out who had killed Carly. I was wrong, and was never happier to be so. Jarzab kept putting twists and turns throughout the novel, making me think it was one person or another, until it all came together. I love a good murder mystery, and All Unquiet Things delievers just that.

Jarzab's writing is also so unique that it will stand out from andy YA novels on the shelf. The voices of Neily and Audrey will draw you into the book and you will get engrossed in their world. until the very end. I only put it down once, but I had to pick it back up again because it was I wanted to know what happened next. The characters are so diverse and wonderful. They also sound like real teenagers, unlike some authors who make the teenagers in YA novels sound very cheesy and unrealistic.

All Unquiet Things is a must read if you enjoy YA suspense novels. It's a beautifully woven mystery with believable and addicting characters. Jarzab has created an all around great read, and I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next.

I give the book 9 out of 10 stars.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I hadn't heard of this book. I am definitely ordering it. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did. I love a good book that is hard to put down. It shows something special about the book itself and the author who wrote it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! Some one just recommended it to me this morning on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds pretty cool! I love murder mysteries, and it sounds like an unusual setting for one, as well as an interesting situation around it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)