Monday, December 28, 2015

Mini book review: Cursed Moon by Jaye Wells

Title: Cursed Moon
Author: Jaye Wells
Release date: August 2014
Publisher: Orbit
Series: Prospero's War
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Source: Bought

Description: When a rare Blue Moon upsets the magical balance in the city, Detective Kate Prospero and her Magical Enforcement colleagues pitch in to help Babylon PD keep the peace. Between potions going haywire and everyone's emotions running high, every cop in the city is on edge. But the moon's impact is especially strong for Kate who's wrestling with guilt over falling off the magic wagon.

After a rogue wizard steals dangerous potions from the local covens, Kate worries their suspect is building a dirty magic bomb. Her team must find the anarchist rogue before the covens catch him, and make sure they defuse the bomb before the Blue Moon deadline. Failure is never an option, but success will require Kate to come clean about her secrets.

My thoughts: I loved the first book in this series so I was eager to get stuck in to this one, and Ms. Wells did not disappoint. The pace, action, twists and character development are as good as book 1 (Dirty Magic). I love the will-they-won't-they, does-she-even-realise-she-likes-him-that-way side of Kate' relationship with Moralles. I also really enjoyed seeing the changes in her relationship with her brother after the events of the previous book.
As a classicist and having written my dissertation on Dionysus, I really enjoyed that aspects of his myth were used in this story as well. I always enjoy seeing how different authors use various myths and as you can guess, Dionysus is a bit of a favourite :)
There are a lot of characters that readers got to see a bit more of in this book who I look forward to 'meeting' again in subsequent books in the series - Uncle Abe and John Volos in particular.
I'm giving this 8 stars, it was one of those books I wanted to keep on reading but also wanted to make last much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)