Sunday, July 27, 2014

Beta reader wanted

For those who don't know, I write, and I've been working on editing my urban fantasy story for a while now. I've reached the point where I need some help - I can't see what needs fixing any more. This is where you come in: I'm looking for a beta reader.

What I'm looking for: Someone to read through the story and give me some feedback. While spotting spelling/grammar mistakes I might have missed is helpful, I'm more interested in things like what you think works or doesn't, if the pacing is right, any inconsistencies you see, and places where you think I haven't explained stuff properly.

A bit about the story: 90k words. Urban fantasy.
Shapeshifter Bryony comes to Scotland for a fresh start, but instead finds a territory war brewing. Should her new pack help a child seeking their aid, or protect the peace they've worked for?

First 250 words below. If you're interested, leave me a comment on this post, or email me at the address in the sidebar.

***

If you’d asked her even two weeks ago to make a list of ‘places to start your life over’, Bryony would not have included Scotland. And yet, here she was, stepping off a plane in Glasgow airport at some horrendously early time in the morning, feeling like it was still the middle of the night. No amount of time on the plane or coffee grabbed on the layover in London could prepare her for this.
Next time, think first, she reminded herself.
The contrasts between JFK and Glasgow hit her immediately as she moved into the arrivals hall and stared around. This place was tiny. She scanned the row of people holding up placards, then common sense caught up with her and she used her nose instead. There it was - the scent of cat, something familiar at last. She walked over to the woman, tall and slim and dressed to blend in. Bryony didn’t know for certain, but she’d be willing to bet this woman worked in the security side of the pack.
As she approached, the woman met her eyes.
“You must be Bryony.” It was said with a smile, but Bryony had faked enough of her own to see the lie.
“That’s me.”
The woman’s eyes flicked over her, and Bryony was forced not to fidget.
“I must say, considering all the fuss and arguments you’ve caused, I was expecting someone a little bigger.”
“Arguments?” Bryony asked, feeling something clench in her stomach.

***

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think! Your comments feed the blog :-)